Sunday, July 27, 2008

“And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.” ~~~~ 2 Samuel 6:5

…and Caleb (Pastor Nacho and Lorena’s 10-year-old son) wants to enlist himself among the ranks of the budding young instrumentalists in the Tepic church. So far we have Carlita, Mishna, and Jonathan who are taking piano, and Marisol, Erika, Shadai, and David who are working to master violin. All of them, except Marisol who is now in Bible college, are enrolled in the local music school, and they are making great progress. They have played for 2 weddings in the church, several offertory specials, and at the annual Christmas celebration. Carlita plays along with me for the congregational singing every week; and Erika, David, Carlita and I played a special in church this morning.

Caleb wants out of the piano/violin box, and his dream instrument is the saxophone. He has passed the entrance exam for the school, and he has convinced the school saxophone teacher that he is a good candidate for the instrument. The teacher has agreed to take him as a student EVERYday after school from 7-8 pm. There is only one problem; the teacher says Caleb needs a student’s alto saxophone. So far, one way or another, we’ve been able to get instruments for all of the kids who are taking lessons, but this is a lot more complicated. I’ve checked out eBay, but I’m stabbing in the dark; I have NO idea what to look for. I have a fund of $200 set aside for it (That’s not much for a fine instrument, but "little is much if God is in it."). I will be in the US the last week of September to speak at a ladies’ retreat and to welcome my third grandbaby into the family, and I will need to return to Mexico with Caleb’s dream instrument as a carry-on.

So, the question is: Is there anybody, between now and the end of September, who would like to participate in helping Caleb and me find his sax? Check out the follow-up letter.

1 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger serena said...

I read with interest your blog. I have been doing some research on the internet for relatives, and initially found the page for the Kirt Mellberg Memorial Missionary Scholarship. I lost contact with my cousins many years ago.

I'm glad to see that Kirt found so much joy in his life... and that he has left such a wonderful legacy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home